Cricket Forum @ Cricket Bats Cricket Supplies
Cricket Forum @ Cricket Bats
Cricket Equipment Home | Cricket Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Cricket Bat Reviews
 Salix Cricket Bat Reviews
 Pod 1 Grade one
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maverick79
New Starter

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2010 :  21:32:32  Show Profile  Click to see Maverick79's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I made the move to British made bats last year owning two Newbery's, a Grizzly and and Uzi sps custom. When buying my Grizzly I had the opportunity to look at Salix but even then the 'performance' models were out of my price range.

Towards the end of this season I managed to pick up a Pod 1 Grade one second hand for 70. It was a bit of a gamble as the bat wasn't in great condition (see my post and pics in Salix refurb topic). The top of the handle was marked '08 so the bat had probably had at least a season, possibly two seasons use before I bought it but I took a chance and parted with my cash in the hope that Salix would be able to refurb it back to something near it's best.

The specs of the bat are

Weight 2lb 10oz
Very light pick-up
10 grains - very small strip heartwood on outside edge
32mm edges and bowed blade

[URL=http://img641.imageshack.us/i/img7813m.jpg/][/URL]

[URL=http://img534.imageshack.us/i/img7816p.jpg/][/URL]

[URL=http://img835.imageshack.us/i/img7819m.jpg/][/URL]

[URL=http://img259.imageshack.us/i/img7821k.jpg/][/URL]

The first thing that struck me was the shape - I have never seen another bat shaped anything like it. There are some massive edges, yet so much wood behind the sweetspot that the cleft must have been very light as the pick-up is featherlight even compared to my Newbery's. In comparison what I did notice as well was that the Pod 1's blade is about 3/4 of an inch shorter than a standard blade as well which suprised me.

On to performance and just from rebounding a ball of the face I could tell this was going to fly. I used the bat in the nets a couple of times before sending it off for a refurb and the performance was phenomonal. I know a lot of people say Salix is too expensive - almost getting into the Screaming Cat league in terms of cost but I have to say I can see why. The quality of the willow, amount of wood packed into the blade and a sublime pick-up and balance - not to mention a HUGE middle that pings fantastically yet feels so soft and I would have to say better than the two Newbery's I have and even those are excellent. I love the chrome stickers too!

I have yet to use it in a game but now it's back from Salix I can't wait to use it next season and will update this post once that has happened.

If anyone is considering Salix then I would strongly reccommend them for the quality and performance if the rest are anything like mine. i know they cost more than the 'main brands' GM, GN, Puma, etc and more than other British handmade bats Solitaire, Redback, Newbery etc but it just oozes quality. I think.........I know, I'll be sticking with this one until it breaks!!!!

ammo500
Semi-Pro

Australia
1205 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2010 :  08:37:39  Show Profile  Click to see ammo500's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
great bat looks great great got 70quid the refurb was good
Go to Top of Page

Super Slogger
Pinch of Salt !!!

1125 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2010 :  10:51:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bargain!
Go to Top of Page

Choppy
New Starter

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2010 :  12:48:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like Salix bats, they have a superb feel to them, even if they are overpriced you pay for the highest quality equipment. Very good buy for the money you payed, and the refurb looks very nice indeed.

Edited by - Choppy on 30/10/2010 12:49:16
Go to Top of Page

xHit4Six
New Starter

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  15:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Refurb looks good, i've considered Salix in the past, but the price has always been a bit out of my budget.70 Quid sounds like a good bargain.
Go to Top of Page

Maverick79
New Starter

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  20:28:04  Show Profile  Click to see Maverick79's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The refurb job was 1st class. I know what you mean about price though. I would find it difficult to pay full whack for one even though the Pod one I have is amazing.
Go to Top of Page

Maverick79
New Starter

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  12:02:29  Show Profile  Click to see Maverick79's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
In terms of it being longer than a standard handle? It's fine, I find it no different than a standard handle - my grip is in the same place as it would be on a standard bat - if anything it may give me a little more bat speed.
Go to Top of Page

johan95
New Starter

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  23:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry this is a bit late. I think you've got a great bargain there mate. Do you have any pictures of pre-refurb? I picked up a Salix Fera Performance which has been used, but even that is a very good bat. But I got it for more than this, which proves just how great a steal this was!! :)
Hope it plays well for you, would be very interested to know about the performance!
Go to Top of Page

Maverick79
New Starter

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  21:36:42  Show Profile  Click to see Maverick79's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately I didn't take any pics before it went. Literally as soon as I got it - I sent it off to Salix. There are some better pics after the refurb here

http://www.cricketsupplies.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18571&whichpage=2

The toe was badly split and the willow had started to lift quite badly - it wasn't in a good state at all but they did a great job with the toe on the refurb.
Go to Top of Page

BladeScientist
New Starter

Australia
13 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  21:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They don't sell in Australia.(Sad as.)
Go to Top of Page

harryjwren
New Starter

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  20:11:29  Show Profile  Send harryjwren a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i have got a pod one and it has the best middle a 12 year old would want and it is so light for a short handle
Go to Top of Page

damo1583
Amateur

241 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  15:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best bat on the market IMO......got myself a bat budget for this season and un-decided between another pod or a Falx!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Cricket Forum @ Cricket Bats © 2000-07 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page